Saturday 21 September 2013

Peggy the Pony






The other day Ella told me that she wanted Santa to bring her a pony.  What?!  Is wanting a pony somehow part of every girl's genetic makeup because we've never really talked about ponies so I have no idea where she would have gotten the idea from.  And, Christmas!  We're already talking about Christmas?  That's just scary.

I went to Spotlight a few days ago and stumbled across some scrap material with a western theme and thought I'd give making a hobby horse a try.  I've said before, I'm not a sewer.  I really have no idea what I'm doing but I can fumble my way through the process to make something fairly decent by hand stitching (just don't look at it too closely).  I actually find hand stitching quite therapeutic.

I sat down last night after the kids had gone to bed and set about making Ella's pony.  I basically had all the things I needed to make it at home.  I bought some fringe at Spotlight which was on special and the fabric but the other things I needed including ribbon, buttons, the stuffing and dowel I already had at home so it turned out to be a very cost effective little project.

This morning I put a few finishing touches on the pony and gave it to Ella.  She was so excited, her face was beaming.  I showed her how to ride it and for the next hour or so she played with it in the backyard.  Its name is Peggy and mostly Peggy likes to eat grass and tree branches and drink water - as evidenced by the dirt on her face from Ella dragging her along the ground while she 'eats', her head separating from her body and getting stuck in a tree (a minor adjustment had to be made to affix her head to the stick a little better), and several dunkings in Archie's water bowl.

So far Peggy hasn't fallen apart given her rough treatment so my sewing skills must be getting better, but it's early days yet.  It was so satisfying to make something for Ella from scratch and see her enjoy it so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment