Sunday 15 September 2013

A positive mantra for pregnancy



Yesterday a friend announced that she is 6 weeks pregnant and although she was extremely excited she was also extremely anxious about it.  She has been undergoing IVF treatment for quite some time and became pregnant a few months back but sadly she lost the baby very early on, hence her feelings of apprehension this time around.

This is her and her partner's last try with IVF and so there is also the added pressure that if it doesn't happen this time, then they will have no more children.  Yes, she has one very healthy little girl already and she's so grateful for that gift, but she doesn't feel like her family is complete yet.

She's such a sensitive soul and at the moment is battling so many emotions and just feels like it's all too good to be true and that something is going to go wrong. I remember having feelings like this during the very early stages of my pregnancies too, when you don't yet 'feel' pregnant and aren't showing, it's hard to believe that there is life growing inside of you and you feel the need for constant reassurance that everything is ok.  I didn't have the added pressures around IVF, nor losing a baby, so I can't imagine what she is going through.  There isn't much you can do in situations like this, it's all out of anybody's control and up to nature.  

Months ago I bought some water colour paints and a sketch book, promising myself that I would start using them.  I have a habit of having good intentions to do things but not actually following through (something I am desperately trying to change).  In my mind I had a million projects I wanted to create immediately, but in reality they sat on my bookshelf collecting dust... until yesterday.  When I got home I pulled them out and started drawing.  I wanted to give my friend something to keep her spirits high and her mind positive.

Unfortunately she wasn't home when I delivered it this morning.  It's currently sitting on her front porch awaiting her return from work.  I do hope that she repeats this mantra often enough to believe it to be true and I'll keep repeating it for her as well until that baby is safe in her arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment