Tuesday 10 September 2013

Cake, cake and more cake






I haven't decorated any cakes for quite some time but of course, when it rains it pours.  A friend from mother's group asked me to make a cake for her son's 7th birthday and although I was tempted to say no because I am busy enough as it is at the moment, I said yes.

The theme was Skylanders and I had absolutely no idea who or what they were but apparently they are all the rage with boys these days.  I couldn't be very creative with my ideas as they gave me a specific picture of a cake that they wanted so I can't take credit for the look of it really as I just replicated it.    It was fun to get back into decorating though.

A very good friend of mine is also getting married this saturday and she asked me to make her wedding cake (I also made her sisters wedding cake).  So this week, I have been in the kitchen baking, ganaching and dusting coloured roses.  Thankfully mum has been able to come over and entertain the kids while I work in the kitchen.  Ella has quite the wandering hand when it comes to food in the kitchen and I could just imagine her knocking over one of the cakes or something disastrous so thank goodness for mum and her keeping little hands away (although she has done her fair share of supervised licking of the bowl and spoon after I'm done).

I always get nervous when making wedding cakes.  It's such a huge responsibility and they have to be perfect.  So far everything has gone to plan which isn't always the case.  Tomorrow I will put the fondant on and then stack the cakes (it's a three tier cake).  I can't wait to see the finished product.

I may have a bit of the decorating bug again so I'm even thinking of making gift cakes for Christmas presents to make a little bit of extra money, but that may be a little too ambitious at the moment with two little ones.  We'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment