Friday 6 January 2012

Weddings, weddings everywhere!

So excited today when I returned home from an outing and found an invitation to my friend Sarah's wedding today! I love weddings - always such a happy occasion.  I am also extremely excited and honoured as Sarah has asked me to make her wedding cake!

I have loved cake decorating for years now and always make cakes when I can for celebrations.  I have even thought about setting up a business of some kind to sell them but unfortunately at the moment I just don't have the time to.  Although, I have sold several cakes over the years but not enough to make much money from it.  This is something that I want to change though and I really want to focus as much as I can on doing more cake decorating this year.

I remember before I went on maternity leave I had grand ideas that I would make cakes and build up my portfolio further and even look into making cakes for local markets while I wasn't "working" - what was I thinking?  I obviously had no idea how consuming a newborn was because I barely have time to shower and run a brush through my hair each day, let alone produce cakes!

I have actually made a few cakes over the last 6 months though, cupcakes for my baby shower, one for a 60th birthday, a cake for my nephew's 7th birthday, a birthday cake for my dad's birthday and some christmas themed cakes and cupcakes that I gave as Christmas presents - but nothing like the grand plan I had in mind.


  



Anyway, back to the point, I was so honoured when Sarah asked me to make her wedding cake.  She has shown me a picture of a design she likes which is very simple but beautiful and I can't wait!  Although I have to say that I am a little anxious about it - I've never made a cake for a wedding before and a wedding cake is such an important part of the big special day, so the pressure is on to make sure it's perfect.  Let's hope that it's not a massive flop and a picture of it ends up on cake wrecks!

Over the space of 2 weeks we have actually received 3 wedding invitations so there must be something in the air!  One was a very unexpected invitation.  In fact, when I opened it I was actually confused as to who it was from and why I was invited.  When I was around 14 years old I used to babysit in the local area and there was one family who had two lovely daughters that I regularly sat for.  Their eldest daughter is now 25 and getting ready to walk down the aisle.  At first I thought it was really strange that they should think to invite me - I haven't seen them since I was about 17 - over 15 years ago!!!  But after reading the invitation over and over and scratching my head a few times, I came to the realisation that it was actually a beautiful gesture (not weird as Tim had suggested) and I was chuffed to think that even after 15 years, I held a lasting impression on them and they had thought to invite me to such an important occasion.  I am really looking forward to seeing the family to catch up with them and find out what the girls are doing with their lives now.

One of my best friends, Kate, got married in November last year and I was a bridesmaid, along with 3 of our other best friends.  She has finally got the photo's back and we are catching up in a few weekends time to check them out.  Can't wait!  It was such a special day to be part of and I am sure the photo's will be amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment