Sunday 15 January 2012

A Ruby Wedding Anniversary

Today my parents celebrated their 40th Wedding Anniversary.  Wow, what a milestone.  I can't even imagine what it will be like when Tim and I reach this occasion, but I hope that we are as happy as my mum and dad.

Sure, they have their moments.   At times they infuriate one another and don't communicate well, but deep down there is love.  A kind of love that only comes after so many years and knowing your partner like nobody else does.

We went out for lunch today to celebrate with the family and my mum proudly wore a pair of ruby ear rings and a ruby and diamond ring which my dad had bought for her.  My dad is a surprising man.  To look at he is rough and robust, a typical Aussie "bloke" but if you know him well, you know that he is a sensitive and nostalgic type, one who cries when he sees a bride and whose lips still quiver when he looks at his grandkids in those quiet moments, so I was not surprised when he told us that he secretly went to a jewellery auction many months ago to find a gift for my mum for this special day.

Mum and dad, I wish you many many more happy years together.






No comments:

Post a Comment