Monday 13 May 2013

The 'M' Word


On friday night I caught up with my Mother's Group friends for dinner - a ritual that we try to keep to every 5 weeks so we can have a girls night out and not worry about crying babies or dirty nappies.  We had a lovely meal at an Italian restaurant with lots of chit chat and laughter, punctuated with one rather uncomfortable moment.  We happened to be discussing the bub's 2nd birthday party and one person suggested we go to a local indoor toddler play area where they actually cater for the children and do all the decorations etc.  All we have to do is turn up basically which sounds good to me!  Particularly when I will be due to pop at any moment!

A couple of mum's questioned what sort of food would be served and we came to the conclusion that it would probably be your typical party food for children - nuggets, pies, hot dogs and the like.  Some were more concerned about this than others.  Some were of the opinion that it was ok to eat that kind of food because it's not something they eat all the time, others were dead set against it because they felt that food like that was just not going to pass their toddlers lips.  I can understand both points of view, but I was of the opinion that it's a party, a one off sort of thing, so I wasn't all that concerned if Ella had a day of eating 'party' food instead of what she usually eats which is good healthy food that I prepare myself.

One of the mum's then coyly brought up the touchy subject.  She was reluctant to say what she wanted to at first but then said "It's disgusting but, oh, it's ok, I can say it in front of everyone here because I know that nobody here would do this".  She eventually came out and said that a mother she knew fed her two year old child McDonalds.  Most of the ladies at the table had a look of horror on their faces, some looked down and didn't want to say anything, I, on the other hand, along with one other mum, smiled crookedly and looked around the table and confessed that our children had in fact eaten McDonalds.  Needless to say, the mum who brought it up was completely embarrassed and apologised profusely for offending us (which she hadn't).  Ella had actually eaten it for lunch!  The other mum had fed it to her kids for dinner before she went out that very night!

The table was essentially silent but I went on to stand up for myself and my decision that I had no problem with Ella eating McDonalds every now and then.  It's certainly not something that I feed her on a regular basis but there are times that it's an easy option if we're out and about and I know that she will eat it. I certainly don't feel like a bad mother because she's eaten it a handful of times knowing that every other day she is eating better food than I probably do myself!

Eventually the conversation ended and we all moved on to lighter subjects.  I'm lucky that I have a group of open minded friends and we all respect each other's opinions as it wasn't uncomfortable at all from that point.

I couldn't wait to go home and tell Tim about it and we both had a chuckle and joked about how were were "bad parents".  The one thing that I took away from the situation was the way that I confidently stood behind my choice and wasn't afraid to voice my opinion.  Had it been  a few months after Ella was born and it would have been a very different story.  At that time I was not confident at all, I probably would have put my head down, not said a word and then tried to fight back tears of guilt!  And I would have felt that guilt for weeks.  I was so unsure of myself then and had no conviction in the decisions that I made, always second guessing myself.  As my journey into motherhood has continued I have become more and more confident each day.  I by no means know everything about parenting and I'm still learning things each day from my little pocket rocket, but I am proud of the strength that I have gained over that time and am thankful that I have been able to change so much in the almost two years since I've had Ella.  I am careful not to judge other's choices since becoming a parent because at the end of the day, all we ever want is the best for our child and we make our decisions based on this.  What is right for me, may not be right for you, and that's ok.

It was Mother's Day yesterday.  The photo above was taken whilst we ate lunch at Manly, right before a bird pooped all over my back!

I was treated to a sleep in, pancakes for breakfast, a beautiful card made by Ella with Tim's help and some lovely gifts to help with my gardening.  I also received my Small Prints pendant which was taken on my birthday and was ready just in time for me to wear on Mother's Day.  I am so thankful for Ella, Tim and this little boy growing inside my belly.


Becoming a mother drastically changes your opinion of your own mama, or in my case it has at least.  I know how hard the job is now and appreciate it so much more.  My mama is such a special person and I am so lucky to have such a wonderful role model to help guide me through this journey.

Happy Mother's Day to all the mama's out there!


No comments:

Post a Comment