Friday 2 August 2013

Feeling nostalgic...



I am feeling very nostalgic today.  I am standing in the kitchen making a birthday cake for Ella's 2nd birthday which is tomorrow and remembering that at this time two years ago, my journey into motherhood was about to begin.

It was around this time of day that my contractions began and with excitement, apprehension and a little bit of anxiety (who am I kidding...there was a lot of anxiety!) I tried to imagine what it was going to be like to give birth and to hold my baby for the very first time.

As always I am left wondering where the time has gone.  How on earth have two years passed?  My little girl who fit snugly into the crook of my arm now lays like a big sack of potatoes in my lap.  But her hair smells exactly the same and I will continue to breathe it in deeply for as long as she wants to be held in my arms.

Over the last two years we've seen first smiles, first words, first steps and all the other firsts that you long to witness.  There have been so many personal firsts for me too as I navigate my way through parenthood for the first time. I don't always have the answers and often find myself wishing that I had handled a situation differently but I guess I am taking first steps in a way too and inevitably there will be falls along the way but I am so thankful to be on this path.

No comments:

Post a Comment