Monday 23 July 2012

Last weekend

Last weekend consisted mainly of either eating or making food.  I still feel full now.

Ella and I met Katy for lunch on friday for a bit of a catch up which was nice, except actually catching up isn't quite so easy these days.  It's a little hard to focus on conversation when you are running after a little one and stopping her from picking up pretty ceramic bowls and dropping them on the floor and from getting a little too adventurous climbing up and down the stairs and getting up to constant mischief.  

Ella got her first birthday present from Katy - a pretty purple tutu!  We put it on her immediately and she loved it.  She stood there proudly with her belly poking out, swaying her hips as the tutu twisted and walked around the house with a look on her face as if to say "hey...check me out!"  I am hoping that on her actual birthday we can get some photos of her in her tutu.


On friday night I got to catch up with the ladies from Mother's Group for dinner.  It was the first time that we had caught up without the babies which was really nice.  We sipped champagne, ate delicious Thai food and caught up on what's been going on.  For some of the mum's this was the first time they had actually been away for the evening from their little one!  Thankfully I have been able to get out and about on my own from time to time and Tim is good with looking after Ella (mostly - ha ha).  She was in bed before I left anyway and she generally doesn't wake up until her feed at about 9.30pm and then goes straight back to sleep.  Unfortunately the same couldn't be said about all the bubs.  One of the girls got a message from their hubby after 9pm saying that baby had only just gone to sleep after two hours of crying.  I am sure he is now shell shocked and won't be volunteering to look after baby on his own again any time soon.

Thai soon became coffee and cake across the road at the local pub of all places.  The pub that Tim and I met in actually.  I felt like an absolute nanna sipping hot chocolate and eating a slice of cake while all the young folk around us skulled one too many shots and made awkward conversation with the opposite sex.  It was a fun night out though and I certainly don't miss hanging out in seedy pubs every friday night like I did when I was in my early twenties.  Being a nanna isn't so bad after all.

Saturday morning I caught up with some other girlfriends for morning tea and we received some very exciting news that one is pregnant!  This is such good news as all she wanted was to get married and start a family.  She married in March and now the little one they dreamed about is on its way. 

I was a little clucky myself when I heard the news.  Tim and I have talked about when we would start trying for a second baby.  Some days I see a newborn and my heart melts and I want to jump in the sack and start trying straight away!  Then there are other days when Ella is not being the most cooperative child and I think NO WAY, not yet!  In situations like this though, the heart usually wins...

The rest of the day I spent baking cakes for a little girl's 5th birthday party on sunday.  I made a pink butter cake as the theme of the party was Strawberry Shortcake.  Iced it that night and then put the finishing touches on on sunday morning.  I was really pleased with how it turned out and I really hope she loved it.



I decided I felt like something delicious and homely for dinner on sunday night so I bought a nice big piece of lamb and found a recipe for Lamb Kleftico.  We have a lemon tree in our back yard which produces lots of fruit.  We picked them all off the other day and so I decided to try and make the most of them and using them in the Kleftico was perfect.  The lamb and potatoes sizzled away in the oven for 3 hours and it was nearly 8 o'clock by the time I pulled it out.  I was disappointed though that the meat was not falling off the bone as the recipe had suggested would happen by this time.  I decided that I would put it back in for another hour or so which meant that it would be too late to eat, so instead that night we ate chips and muffins that Tim made (also using our lemons) and had the lamb last night.

Since I was out and about so much on the weekend, Tim was pretty much with Ella all the time looking after her. I love watching them together.  He's so rough with her when they play, twirling her around by the arms and putting her on his back while they around the house, but she giggles in delight the whole time.  The biggest belly laugh you have heard!  I think he realised though just how much hard work it can be as he fell asleep on the couch while we were watching television on sunday night and he never does that.   I guess now he knows why I go to bed at 8.30pm most nights!  He hasn't teased me about my early nights since!




No comments:

Post a Comment