Monday 16 July 2012

First memories

Last week a friend of mine from the US posted a picture of some clydesdale horses in a 4th of July parade.  It's funny how a simple picture can open the flood gates to memories past.

When I saw that image I instantly became a 3 year old girl again when my parents had taken us on a special holiday to Victoria.  When we went on holidays we always went camping or stayed in simple cabins in the bush which I absolutely loved.  We were not a family who went to fancy resorts in tropical climates, in fact I've never stayed in a hotel with my family in my lifetime.  My parents love the outdoors so we always spent simple holidays together, usually in a cosy tent in the middle of nowhere.

This holiday however was a special one.  My dad had organised for us to take a horse and cart trip around the Victorian Ranges.  Our horse was a beautiful big chestnut brown clydesdale named Fred and he pulled behind him our little family in a tiny red gypsy cart with a bed and two small bunks and simple kitchen facilities.

The gypsy cart was our home for a week as we meandered slowly through the beautiful bush ranges.  My dad steering Fred with reigns in hand, and my mum, brother and I sitting next to him on the bench seat of the cart.  We would stop where we wanted each afternoon and set up camp.  We'd feed and water Fred and then make dinner on the open fire and sit around for the rest of the night looking at the stars.

Dad always tells a story of how poor Fred got stuck in a creek one day.  We had tried to cross it not realising that creek bed was so soft in the middle.  We were bogged.  Dad unhooked the cart and pulled that out, but poor Fred remained and wouldn't move.  He was a stubborn old thing.  Dad tried everything to coax him out.  He tried the gentle approach with carrots to try and lure him to move and he tried the hard line approach of simply pushing and pulling as hard as he could but still Fred wouldn't budge.

After hours of trying, dad was completely flustered and had no idea what to do.  Swear words would have been echoing through the valleys I'm sure.  Fred was getting just as flustered too.  Dad pulled more but was worried that Fred might break a leg or do some serious damage.  He said to my mum "if he breaks his leg they'll have to shoot him".  This was his major concern.  You have to remember that this was before the days of mobile phones (I can just imagine my children gasping in horror at the thought as they read this in the future!), and we were in the middle of nowhere so my dad was justifiably worried about the situation.

Eventually poor Fred's legs were freed and he was able to walk out of the creek and we were back on or way.   Each night after we had settled camp, Fred's owner would meet us to make sure everything was ok, bring Fred his food, check his hooves etc.  That night dad explained what had happened earlier on in the day.  Right then my brother piped up and said "Daddy was going to shoot your horse!".  I can just imagine the shade of red my Dad would have turned Dad would have turned as he tried to explain what he actually meant!

I don't remember that day but there is one particular night I do remember as clear as if it were yesterday.  It's funny though because I had never thought about it until I saw that photo my friend posted the other day.  One night the man arrived with a special delivery.  My mum and dad had organised for him to bring a birthday cake for me.  It was my third birthday.  As I recall this I can smell the smoke from the camp fire and the bush and in my mind I can see us all sitting around the fire with everybody singing happy birthday to me.  As we ate cake my dad taught me how to find the Southern Cross and the Saucepan in the black sky above us and to this day when I see the stars starting to come out, I immediately search for these two landmarks.

I always hear people talking about their first memories and I have never had any idea what mine was, but this was it.  A three year old girl in the bush in the middle of nowhere with her family celebrating her birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment