Monday 21 October 2013

Lucas' new trick


During my first pregnancy I did everything I was supposed to do, or maybe a better way of saying it is that I didn't do all the things I wasn't supposed to do.  No soft cheese, no deli meats, etc etc.  I religiously checked books and pregnancy websites to see what was supposed to be happening during each week of my pregnancy, and likewise when my little bundle of joy arrived, I checked the baby websites to see exactly what my child was supposed to be doing and learning each week.  It sounds tedious, and now that I look back on it, it was.  I was always looking at what was supposed to be happening next, rather than just enjoying the current stage.

Second time around is a little different.  I didn't consult the books and websites during my pregnancy and I ate my fair share of foods that I 'shouldn't', within reason of course.  And when Lucas was born I didn't have the urge to pull out all my books to see when exactly he should be smiling/focusing/reaching and all the fab tricks that these babies learn so quickly, I am trusting that it will just happen when it is supposed to happen.  I am enjoying watching him develop and learn new things and celebrating the milestones as they occur, rather than watching him do something cool and then thinking what's next.

He smiles like a champ, coos and babbles delightfully, watches me like a hawk whenever I walk into the room and yesterday, my little boy rolled over for the very first time.  I am soaking in all these great moments while I can because he's almost four months old already and I don't need to make the time go faster than it does.

I'm so proud of my happy little boy, and he's pretty chuffed with himself too.

No comments:

Post a Comment