Thursday 31 October 2013

Happy Halloween?


We don't celebrate Halloween.  In fact, I really don't even know what the meaning behind the day is and I'm not sure I fancy strangers giving my kids lollies, but children love to dress up and some mother's like to go a little crazy dressing their kids in cute costumes just because they can. Or is it just me???  See exhibit A and B below.



I've always wanted to try my hand at face painting so this afternoon we made an impromptu trip to the shops to buy some face paints and a few little props so that I could turn Ella into a witch/goblin.  As I was buckling her into her car seat and explained what we were going to do, I told her it was all in the name of Halloween and that children dress up on this day and knock on people's doors and get lollies.  Her face beamed "Ooh, I love lollies mama.  That's my favourite." she exclaimed.

Thankfully when we got home she forgot all about the lollies and was more interested in becoming a witch.  She flew around the lounge room on a makeshift broom and cackled loudly as all good witches do.  Despite the fact that we don't celebrate Halloween I bought a packet of chocolates to give to any kids who knocked on our door because I don't like disappointing children and also don't like the thought of some brat doing something to my car when I tell them I have no treats for them, but it's 9.30pm and there hasn't been a single knock.  I guess other people don't like the thought of strangers giving their kids lollies either.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment