Tuesday 14 February 2012

Valentine's Day

I am not that into Valentine's Day.  Sure, it's nice to be spoiled with flowers and lovely gifts from the one you love, but really, I just think it's a waste of money.  They always jack the prices up just for the day and so a small bunch of roses jumps from $20 to $100 or more!  It's ridiculous.

I am not huge on presents in general really.  I love giving gifts to other people but whenever it is my birthday or Christmas and people ask me what I would like, I very rarely have a list.  I am happy with the things I have, I am a pretty simple gal so I don't really want lots of things.  'Things' aren't what make me happy.  So when Tim and I were discussing Valentine's Day after seeing an ad on television I told him to make sure he didn't worry about spending money, just a card would be nice.

My Valentine's Day started off nicely, I got a big kiss in the morning from Timmy along with a lovely card.  But from there everything seemed to go pear shaped.  Ella was upset because of her teeth, Archie ate one of her dirty nappies from the bin and then proceeded to throw up on the carpet, I kicked him outside for being naughty and he walked in the mud outside so when he came back in, said mud was walked all over the carpet...I mean all over the carpet!  I was not happy.  I had to bake a cake but the spring in our oven door broke so I had to prop it open with a broom but the cake wouldn't rise properly!  The list goes on and it was only 10.30am!

Needless to say, I was getting a bit fed up with the way my day was going.  I sat on the computer for a little bit of chill out time and then there was a knock on the door...I must admit I got a bit excited.  I don't get many visitors during the week and jumped to the conclusion that Tim must have organised some surprise flowers for me for Valentine's Day.  How romantic!  I told him not to do anything like that but gee I did feel special.  With a big smile on my face I ran downstairs imagining a delivery guy standing there with a lovely big bunch of red roses and maybe a box of chocolates (I have been craving chocolate lately while I have been on my diet).

I swung open the door...and there stood... a little old Jehovah's Witness.  I felt duped!  No flowers.  No chocolate.  Just a little old man wanting to give me a magazine and talk about God.  I did the polite thing and listened to him but when I closed the door I must admit that I laughed out loud.

It may not have been the grand romantic gesture from my husband that I imagined in my head, but it did make me giggle and pick me up out of my slump!

My card from Timmy (I have a thing for Donkeys!)


And no, Archie should not be on the couch either!!

No comments:

Post a Comment