Saturday 18 February 2012

Birthday Cake

My boss' girls turned 14 the other day and have a big party planned tonight.  For the last few years I have made their birthday cake so it has become somewhat of a tradition.  This year, they requested a three tier damask cake.  Very mature for 14 year olds don't you think?  I was a bit nervous about making it because I have never used stencilling before, but I was really pleased with how it turned out.




I had a few difficulties along the way...broken oven door when baking the cake, chocolate splitting when I made the ganache (I had to do it 3 times before I got it right!!), running out of fondant...the list goes on.  I know it's because lately I have been focussing on too many things at once instead of concentrating on the present and whatever I am actually doing at the time.  I do this a lot and I turn into an absolute scatter brain so I am trying to be conscious of it and tell myself to just be present in the moment.  Particularly when it comes to dealing with Ella.  Too often I catch myself getting frustrated and angry lately during certain situations, when really I should just take a breath, focus on the situation in the current moment, instead of trying to  rush through, knowing that I have something else that I should be doing.  I feel so much better in myself when I do this.

Serenity now!

No comments:

Post a Comment