Sunday 24 March 2013

Enjoying simple things




Our neighbours are renovating their house so it's been quite noisy during the day and has been disrupting Ella's sleep a little.  She is also transitioning to one sleep a day (boo hoo - I need that hour to get things done!!) so this makes for a grumpy little girl at times.

Yesterday all was well, I put her down for a sleep and then, as Murphy's Law would have it, the neighbours started sanding.  Ella had been asleep for only about 20 minutes or so before she woke wailing, so I went in and picked her up and she just wouldn't go back down in her cot.  So, instead we both settled into her big chair,  a little froggy laying across my belly and chest.  I can remember when she barely filled my arms while we sat in that very same chair.  She promptly fell back asleep in my arms despite the noise going on right next to her bedroom.

Our breathing became one as I sat there nuzzling my lips into her soft hair for the next hour.  Sometimes doing something as simple as this makes you realise that you need to step back and appreciate these times more often.  As we snuggled, baby boy started kicking and rolling madly and I couldn't help but have a little laugh to myself.  Ella was completely oblivious, but in my head I could hear what it will be like in a few years time, "Mum, he's kicking me!!".  It may have been the first time, but it definitely won't be the last.

We spent the rest of the beautiful autumn day lying on a blanket in the backyard.  I love this time of year, the weather has been just perfect.  It's the Easter long weekend next week so I hope the weather sticks around until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment